A rare dining table is complete without potatoes. Potato dishes are countless, and everyone has a favorite.
A rare dining table is complete without potatoes. Potato dishes are countless, and everyone has a favorite. But do you know everything about this white tuber? Now let's check!
Here are 15 interesting facts about potatoes.
1. It's actually a truffle. If we talk about the origin of the word. First there was the Italian word tartufo, then the German Kartoffel, from which the Russian "Potato" came. We rejoice!
2. Peter the Great. Yes, it was he who brought potatoes to Russia (or rather, he sent a bag from Holland, where he tried it), and then he and others forced the peasants to eat it for a long time. They resisted with all their might! But the potato won.
3. Poison! Green potato tubers contain a poison (alkaloid solanine) that protects potatoes from insects and bacteria. Usually we cut off the green part and cook the potatoes further. And we do it right!
4. Superstar! 7-9 thousand years ago, the Indians worshiped the potato, considering it to be alive! That didn't stop them from eating it.
5. Want to find a wild potato, the mother of all potatoes? Go to South America, to Bolivia, for example.
6. Flowers! Potato in the form of an ornamental poisonous plant arrived in Europe in the seventies of the 15th century.
7. Thank Antoine Auguste Parmentier, who proved that potatoes are delicious. He also helped to cope with hunger and scurvy in France. Of course, several potato dishes are named after him. Get the recipe.
400 g boiled or baked beef; 800 g potatoes; 150 g butter; 200 ml milk or low-fat cream; medium bulb; salt pepper; a pinch of ground nutmeg; 3 art. l. breadcrumbs.
Peel the potatoes, cut into large pieces and boil until tender in salted water. Drain the water, add 50 g of butter and hot milk (or cream), mash into a puree.
Cut the cooked meat into small pieces, peel the onion and cut into cubes. Melt 20-30 g of butter in a frying pan and fry the onion over medium heat until transparent (5 minutes, stirring), add meat, salt, heat and remove from heat.
Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Grease the form with oil, put half of the mashed potatoes, level, then distribute the entire meat filling, cover with a layer of mashed potatoes. Sprinkle the top with breadcrumbs and rub the remaining butter directly on the breadcrumbs. Bake until crispy 45-50 minutes.
8. First in space! In 1995, potatoes were grown in space. The first of the vegetables! What if you have to move soon?
9. Water and starch. Potatoes for 75 percent. consists of water, 18 percent. - from starch.
10. Mmm, potato dessert! Yes, there is. You will need yesterday's puree. We share the recipe.
Ingredients for Mashed Potato Candy:
1/2 cup cold mashed potatoes (potatoes, butter, milk and a pinch of salt) 150 g of dark chocolate; half a teaspoon of vanilla extract; 1/2 cup flaked coconut, chopped nuts, or confectionery powder
Melt chocolate or chocolate drops (glass) in the microwave or in a water bath. Add the puree, vanilla and stir until you can't mix any more. Chill the mass in the refrigerator (half an hour). Then scoop with a teaspoon, roll into balls and roll in coconut, cocoa or nuts. Put the finished sweets in one layer and refrigerate until hardened.
You can store potato sweets in the cold for up to a week. Surprise your guests!
11. Potato vodka. Popular in Iceland, England. And not only. Awesome and expensive! Try it, but don't overdo it!
12. The main supplier of potassium to the body. Rules for cooking potatoes: do not pre-soak, cook in a small amount of water and better - in their uniforms. That's when all the potassium in the body and get!
13. A cure for a hundred diseases. Drink fresh potato juice (from grated potatoes grown without chemicals and away from the highway) for stomach and duodenal ulcers, as well as high acidity. Nothing tasty, but really helps! They also make masks for the skin of the face and hands from boiled potatoes.
14. Oops! The popular blue-eyed potato variety is actually called "Hannibal" after the breeder who developed the dark blue-skinned potato.
15. Art and eternal memory. In Belgium there is a Potato Museum, in the Kemerovo region, a monument was erected to Potato. What can I say, Van Gogh himself was inspired by this wonderful tuber and painted the picture "Potato Eaters".