The pancreas weighs only 100 g, but when affected by a disease process is able to cause one of the strongest types of pain known to man. Pancreatic disease should never be seen as a harmless discomfort, and operations on this organ are performed under strict indications.
Role of the pancreas in the process of digestion
The pancreas in 99% of its composition is a tissue that produces digestive enzymes - exocrine pancreas . Only about 1% of its mass is involved by endocrine cells in the form of Langerhans islands. The latter secrete a series of hormones, the most famous of which is insulin .
Pancreatic juice contains a large amount of water and electrolytes, as well as digestive enzymes responsible for the breakdown of carbohydrates (amylase, disaccharidase, etc.), proteins (trypsin, chymotrypsin, etc.), fats (lipase, cholesterol, etc.), etc. smaller components in food.
The pancreas plays a significant role in the digestion of food. Usually the amount and type of food that enters the stomach dictates the activity of production and secretion of pancreatic juice. Therefore, at times when the gland should be maximally spared - as after surgery - it is important that the patient adheres to the recommended diet.
Diet after pancreatic surgery
This regimen requires a certain amount of discipline - the meal is divided into 6 meals a day at strictly defined hours and in small portions . The patient should chew slowly and for a long time, and overeating is unacceptable. The temperature of the dishes should be neither hot nor very cold. Food processing is by cooking and baking, frying is unacceptable.
- Cereals - poorly baked pasta is prohibited, as well as wholemeal / rye bread, pies, fried snacks such as muffins and pies, and corn. They should be replaced by white bread - well-baked, rusks, plain biscuits, soda cakes, pasta, rice.
- Soups - do not consume tarator and greasy bolons. The meal is with vegetable cream soups, as well as chicken fillet or other lean meats.
- Fish - fatty oily fish - mackerel, duck, as well as canned fish or salted or smoked fish, as well as caviar and other seafood are prohibited. Lean fish - trout, white fish, etc. are allowed.
- Dairy foods and eggs - yolk, mayonnaise, powdered eggs (attention, contained in many packaged products), fried eggs, whole milk and cream, melted and smoked cheeses are prohibited. Egg white (baked or boiled), skimmed or low-fat cow's yogurt, dietary cottage cheese - unsalted and low-fat are consumed.
- Meat - do not eat any fatty, canned, salty or spicy meats, poultry, sausages and offal. They move to the menu of lean meats - beef, rabbit, lean lamb and poultry - without skin.
- Fat - animal fat is removed from the menu. Refined vegetable fat in raw form and in limited quantities is allowed.
- Fruits and vegetables - not consumed: cabbage, nettle, spinach, dock, quinoa, sorrel, eggplant, tomatoes, turnips, radishes, raw onions, beans, peas, mushrooms, vegetable juices, pickles, dried fruits and vegetables such as dates, figs , prunes, apricots, unripe sour fruits - junipers, plums, cherries, apricots, citrus and others.
Salads of young lettuce, carrots, roasted peeled peppers, zucchini, potatoes, peeled well-ripened fruits - apples, peaches, strawberries, cherries, pears, watermelon, melon, compotes, fruit purees, and in limited quantities - raspberries, blackberries, blackcurrants and blueberries.
- Desserts - chocolate products, fried pastries such as tolumbichki, ice cream, baklava, heavy cakes and pastries are prohibited. You can take cream starch (but with a small amount of low-fat milk!), Fruit mousse, jam and jams - dietary in limited quantities, honey - up to 50 g per day, sugar - limited.
- Nuts - are temporarily excluded from the menu.
- Drinks - carbonated mineral waters, strong tea, coffee, alcohol, sour boza, as well as drinks should not be icy. Light herbal teas are allowed - mint, linden, chamomile, rosehip, alkaline mineral waters, sweet boza, coffee substitutes - from chickpeas, compotes - slightly sweetened.
- Spices - do not use black pepper, bay leaf, allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, horseradish, mustard, hot and spicy sauces, salsa, ketchup, garlic, hot red pepper, and salt - not to exceed 5 to 7 g per day.
Parsley, dill, mint, savory, vanilla and in limited quantities - sweet red pepper, tomato juice, diluted lemon juice and milk sauces are allowed.