Cinnamon is called the queen of spices for its aroma and health benefits. It is safe to say that cinnamon can be found in every kitchen.
Cinnamon is called the queen of spices for its aroma and health benefits. It is safe to say that cinnamon can be found in every kitchen. Most often, housewives use this spice for baking.
Cinnamon is a condiment made from the dried bark of an evergreen tree of the Cinnamon genus of the Laurel family. It contains such useful substances as potassium, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, vitamins B, C, A, PP, tannins, essential oils and fiber.
It has been proven that cinnamon reduces the likelihood of cancerous tumors in the colon and cervix. It also helps fight symptoms of diabetes, Parkinson's disease, inflammation and decay of teeth, improves the ability to learn (affects concentration, strengthens eyesight) and reduces the habit of eating sugary foods.
We will tell you why cinnamon is useful, why to use it, how to use it and how to distinguish Ceylon (real) cinnamon from cassia.
Here's why you should definitely include cinnamon in your diet:
1. Cinnamon is a great antioxidant. Moreover, it improves the body's ability to absorb antioxidants obtained from other foods, which in turn strengthens and mobilizes the immune system.
2. Cinnamon is very beneficial for people with type 2 diabetes. Just 0.5 teaspoon per day will help reduce the amount of glucose in the blood.
3. Cinnamon improves digestion. In Chinese medicine, cinnamon has long been used as a remedy for bloating, nausea, and diarrhea. Manganese, essential oils, cellulose (fiber) and calcium, which are contained in cinnamon, help to do this.
Cinnamon is widely used in Indian cuisine.
4. Cinnamon lowers the amount of cholesterol in the blood. Therefore, health workers are advised to use cinnamon as a preventive measure for cardiovascular diseases and diabetes.
5. Cinnamon promotes weight loss. Cinnamon improves and accelerates the absorption of glucose by the body, and also contains fibers that improve the functioning of the digestive system. Add a teaspoon of cinnamon to a glass of kefir and drink on an empty stomach. Cinnamon will not only reward your body with useful substances, but also saturate, which will lead to less desire to eat and speedy weight loss.
6. Cinnamon helps to resist the desire to eat sweets or muffins. This spice lowers blood sugar levels and slows down the feeling of emptying the stomach, thanks to which sugar "jumps" less after eating. It is because of sugar surges that we want to eat something sweet.
Add cinnamon instead of sugar to tea, coffee, cereals, meat dishes and your body will say THANK YOU!
5 unusual ways to use cinnamon:
1. Cinnamon protects food from bacteria, even if the dishes are cooked a few days ago. Therefore, sprinkle dishes with cinnamon and eat without harm to the stomach.
2. Cinnamon acts as a sedative, so it is very useful for people facing stressful situations. Studies have found that the smell of cinnamon helps to relax.
3. Use cinnamon as a remedy for acne and pimples. If acne is the result of stress, prepare a mask of cinnamon and honey and apply once a day, for 10-15 minutes. Cinnamon has antiseptic properties, therefore, in combination with honey, it reduces inflammation.
4. Cinnamon is the perfect remedy for bad breath. Pour boiling water over a couple of cinnamon sticks, wait until the liquid cools down and rinse your mouth.
5. Cinnamon is an excellent remedy for ants. If you have ants in your home, sprinkle cinnamon on the ant paths and they will soon disappear.
The popular Spanish dessert churros also includes cinnamon.
Do you know how to get a truly valuable, healthy and rich in substances cinnamon spice? Learning to distinguish Ceylon cinnamon from cassia.
-The first difference is in color: real (Ceylon) cinnamon is a light brown color, while cassia is a patchy red-brown color, which sometimes turns from dark brown to gray.
- The aroma of Ceylon cinnamon is finely spicy, pleasant and delicate, while cassia has a tart and harsh smell.
- Cassia contains a lot of coumarin, which has a negative effect on the body, so it is not recommended to use it, it can be poisonous.
- Ceylon cinnamon is made from the bark of young (up to 3 years old) trees. From young sprouts, the outer bark is scraped off, then the inner bark is removed and wrapped in rolls, the length of which reaches 1 meter. And cassia is made from relatively old trees (more than 7 years old). The upper part of the bark is removed, and the lower bark is cut into strips 15 centimeters long. When dried, cassia has a concave shape, and the bark is much thicker and coarser than Ceylon cinnamon.
-If you want to check the cinnamon for authenticity, put a little iodine on the powder. If the color hasn't changed, it's Ceylon cinnamon. If the color turned dark blue - you bought cassia, which will not give the desired effect to maintain health and lose weight.
This is what real Ceylon cinnamon looks like:
And here in the photo - cassia:
Be healthy and beautiful!